1. Complete the following sentences using the most appropriate forms of the verbs. 1. Jack has got a headache. He … sleep well recently. a) cant b) couldnt have c) hasnt been able to
2. I … sleep for hours when I was a little girls. a) could b) am able to c) can 3. Tom … play tennis well but he … play a game yesterday because he was ill. a) couldnt, could b) can, was able c) can, couldnt
4. I didnt want to be late for the meeting. We … meet at 5 sharp. a) were to b) had to c) could 5. Where are my gloves? I … put them on because its cold today. a) cant b) have to c) neednt
6. You … take an umbrella today. The Sun is shining. a) neednt b) mustnt c) cant 7. Im sorry, you didnt invite me to your birthday party. You … invite me next time. a) must b) should c) need to
8. Well, its 10 oclock. I … go now. a) can b) has to c) must 9. You … smoke so much. a) would b) cant c) shouldnt
10. We have got plenty of time. We … hurry. a) must b) neednt c) should
There is a mistake in each sentence. Correct the mistakes. 1. Actors may learn a lot of dialogues by heart. 2. Your glass is empty. Must I refill it? 3. Would I introduce Mr. Brown to you? 4. My sister can to play a few musical instruments. 5. Some years ago I didnt can speak English.
a. In my country you ____________ get married when you are 16. b. Women ___________ vote in England until c. Last night I __________ get into my house because I had forgotten my key. d. I phoned the Gas Board because I thought I ___________ smell gas, which is very dangerous. e. Hello. Is that the dentist? ___________ I make an appointment to see you, please?
f. Im learning car mechanics because I want ___________ to service my own car. It costs a fortune if you send it to the garage. g. Many night animals ______________ see very well, but they have a highly developed sense of smell. h. If you __________ do this exercise, youre very clever!
Ниже даны два диалога с перепутанными репликами, в которых один человек просит разрешения, а другой дает его. В одном диалоге Mr Roberts и Mr Thomas разговаривают в офисе, а в другом диалоге разговор идет между отцом и сыном. Поставьте реплики в правильном порядке, сформировав два диалога. Обратите внимание на различия при выражении позволения что- либо сделать.
a. But Im taking Dave to see his girlfriend in hospital. b. Yes, what is it? c. I told you. I need it. d. Its not a very convenient time at the moment. e. Well, as you know, my father cant walk very well, and he needs to go into hospital. I was wondering if I could have a day off work? f. Thank a lot, Dad. I wont be home late. g. Oh, please. He wont be able to go if I dont give him a lift. h. Thats very kind. Ill make up the time, I promise.