tenseactivepassive present simpleI make a cakeA cake is made (by me) present continuousI am making a cake A cake is being made (by me) past simpleI made a cake A cake was made (by me) past continuousI was making a cake A cake was being made (by me) present perfectI have made a cake A cake has been made (by me) pres. perf. continuous I have been making a cake A cake has been being made(by me) past perfectI had made a cake A cake had been made (by me) future simpleI will make a cake A cake will be made (by me) future perfectI will have made a cake A cake will have been made(by me) Grammar
1. Find the passive verbs in this text. What tenses are they? In Denmark, 24 people were left hanging upside down when a roller coaster car made an unscheduled stop. The passengers were stranded 60 ft in the air for 20 minutes before firemen arrived with ladders. An official for the fairground, at Aalborg in Western Denmark, said the riders had been firmly locked in and had not been in danger. They were given their money back, the official said. The answers: were left (past simple) were stranded (past simple) had been…locked in (past perfect) were given(past simple)
2. Сomplete the sentences using these words in the correct form: The roof of the building_________ in a storm a few days ago. (damage) The roof of the building was damaged in a storm a few days ago. 1. Many accidents___________by dangerous driving. (cause) Many accidents are caused by dangerous driving. 2. Cheese_________ from milk. (make) Cheese is made from milk. 3. A cinema is a place where films ________. (show) A cinema is a place where films are shown.
3. Put the verb into the correct form, present simple or past simple, active or passive. Most of the Earths surface …………………..(cover) by water. Most of the Earths surface is covered by water. 1. The park gates………..(lock) at 6.30p.m. Every evening. The park gates are locked at 6.30p.m. 2. The letter……….(post) a week ago and it……… (arrive ) yesterday. The letter was posted a week ago and it arrived yesterday. 3. Rons parents………...(die) when he was very young. He and his sister………(bring) up by their grandparents. Rons parents died when he was very young. He and his sister were brought up by their grandparents.
4. Rewrite these sentences. Instead of using somebody or they, write a passive sentence. Somebody has cleaned the room. The room has been cleaned. 1. Somebody is using the computer at the moment. The computer is being used at the moment. 2. When we got to the stadium we found that they cancelled the game. We found that the game had been cancelled. 3. They have built a new hospital near the airport. A new hospital has been built near the airport
5. Choose the best sentence from each pair to build up a continuous text. 1.a. How books are made. b. How people make books. a. How books are made. 2. a. First of all, the printers print big sheets of paper. b. First of all, big sheets of paper are printed. 3. a. Each sheet contains the text of a number of pages (e.g.32). b. The text of a number of pages (e.g. 32) is contained in each sheet. a. Each sheet contains the text of a number of pages (e.g. 32). 4. a. People fold and cut the sheets to produce sections of the book. b. The sheets are folded and cut to produce sections of the book.
5.a. These sections are called signatures. b. We call these sections signatures. a. These sections are called signatures. 6.a. The printers put all the signatures together in the correct order. b. All the signatures are put together in the correct order. 7.a. Then they are bound together and their edges are trimmed. b. Then they bind the signatures together and trim the edges. a. Then they are bound together and their edges are trimmed.
8. a. Finally, the cover – which has been printed separately – is attached. b. Finally, they attach the cover - which they have printed separately. a. Finally, the cover – which has been printed separately – is attached. 9. a. Now the publishers can publish the book. b. Now the book can be published.
Our visit to the Weekly Times 1. The newspaper office Last week our class visited the offices of the Weekly Times, our local newspaper. We took some photos and met the staff. They were very friendly and we learnt all about their jobs. 2. Who works for the newspaper? This is a photo of some of the staff. Jed is a sports photographer. Kathys a journalist. She interviews people and then writes articles. Tim, the editor, chooses the best articles For the paper and corrects them. Megan designs the newspaper pages.
3. How is a newspaper made? First the articles are written and the best ones are checked by the editor. Next the pages of the newspaper are designed. There are a lot of things to fit on the pages because newspapers dont have only articles. They also have comic strips, advertisements, information about cinemas and other important things. Finally, the newspaper is printed. 4. The newspaper is ready! The Weekly Times is delivered to the newsagent s a eleven o clock on Wednesday evening and it is on sale on Thursday morning. It s read by 14,000 people every week. It s a great newspaper!
DO THE FOLLOWING TASKS: Read the first paragraph and answer the questions: 1. Whats the name of the newspaper? The name of the newspaper is the Weekly Times 2.What do you think staff means? It means the people who work there. 3. Look at the picture, please. Who are the people in the picture? The staff. Read the second paragraph, please. Were you right?
Listen to my reading of the heading of the paragraph 3. Think, please, what words you will meet in the text. Some words on the blackboard will help you. Now, read out the third paragraph, please. Answer the questions: 1. What does the editor do? He checks the articles and chooses the photographs. 2. What kind of things go in newspaper? Articles, comic strips, advertisements, information, etc 3. What happens last? The newspaper is printed.
1. Underline problem words. You can use dictionaries. Do the following tasks: 2. Read the fourth paragraph. 3.Tell us three more things which happen to the newspaper. 1. Its delivered to the newsagents 2. Its on sale. 3. Its read. HOMETASK: Tell your classmates how a newspaper is made.