Beginning sometime in 1914 during the World War the castle was captured by Russians, who looted and without consideration precious items from Pidhirtsi. In 1915 it became the headquarters of the Fifth Austrian-Hungarian Corps. Not long after this, the castle was ransacked by Russian soldiers who destroyed the interior walls, tiles, floors, and all. It was attacked again sometime during during the Polish-Soviet War. The last Polish owner of Pidhirste was prince Roman Sanguszuko, in 1939, for fear of property loss from aggressive Nazi and Soviet forces, he packed most of the valuables and took the to Romania, then Brazil.
After World War II, the Soviets oped the sprawling castle into a Tuberculosis sanitarium. In February of 1956, the castle caught on fire and was almost completely destroyed. It burnt for 3 weeks leaving $2 million in damages and only leaving the walls. Left in decay for sometime, when Ukraine regained its independence from the Soviet Union, it was planned for Pidhirtsi to be redone into a presidential residence. This never happened so finally, it was bought by the Lviv Gallery of Painting in They wish to turn it into a museum and give it its historical look. Though as of 2013, lack of funds have the restoration process going slow. Tourist are allowed to come onto the property but entry is forbidden. The exterior was built with brick and stone.
There was also a library, the Guardroom, knights room, and then suits with names like the Crimson Room, Chinese Room, Mirror Room, Green Room, and Yellow Room. The floors were made of marble tile and each room had a marble fireplace in it.Some scenes for the movie Potop (1974) were shot at Pidhirtsi.