The city's motto is Pro Tanto Quid Retribuamus (Latin for "what shall we give in return for so much") The city's motto is Pro Tanto Quid Retribuamus (Latin for "what shall we give in return for so much")
It is the seat of the devolved government and legislative Northern Ireland Assembly. The population of City of Belfast is three hundred thirty-four thousand people. Belfast was granted city status by Queen Victoria in 1888.
The Giant's Ring, a 5,000-year-old henge, is located near the city, and the remains of Iron Age hill forts can still be seen in the surrounding hills.
Carrickfergus Castle to the north, which was built by de Courcy in 1177.
Belfast became a substantial settlement in the 17th century after being established as a town by Sir Arthur Chichester
Donegall Square in the early 1900s Belfast blossomed as a commercial and industrial centre in the 18th and 19th centuries and became Ireland's pre-eminent industrial city.
The Harland and Wolff shipyards became one of the largest shipbuilders in the world, employing up to 35,000 workers.
In 1921 following the Government of Ireland Act 1920, Belfast became the capital of the new life of Northern Ireland as the island of Ireland was partitioned.
Belfast was heavily bombed during World War II. Apart from London, this was the greatest loss of life in a night raid during the Blitz.
Today, Belfast remains a centre for industry, as well as the arts, higher education, business, and law, and is the economic engine of Northern Ireland.
Belfast is one of the most visited cities in the UK, and the second most visited on the island of Ireland.
Giant's Causeway The Giant's Causeway is an area of about 40,000 interlocking basalt columns, the result of an ancient volcanic eruption.