Edinburgh Castle is at the heart of the Scottish capital.
The castle is built on a volcanic rock. The Castle Rock is the remains of a volcanic pipe.
Edinburgh Castle with the Nor Loch in foreground. The Castle seen from the North.
Edinburgh Castle is also the home of the One O'Clock Gun. This is fired every day except Sunday and Christmas Day exactly at 1.00pm to provide everyone with an accurate check for their clocks and watches. The 'Time Gun' was established in 1861 as a time signal for ships. The gun could easily be heard by ships 2 miles (3.2 km) away.
A series of performances known as the Edinburgh Military Tattoo take place each year during August. The basis of the performance is a parade of the pipes and drums of the Scottish regiments. Since the first performance in 1950 the Tattoo has developed a complex format which includes many invited performers from around the world.
Founded as a monastery in 1128, the Palace of Holyroodhouse in Edinburgh is The Queen's official residence in Scotland.
A Monastery of the Holy Rood was founded by David I, King of Scots, in The foundation is said to have been an act of thanksgiving for the king's miraculous escape from the horns of a stag while hunting near Edinburgh on Holy Cross Day ("rood" means "cross").
According to legend he was saved from an infuriated stag by the miraculous appearance of a holy cross between the antlers on a stag's head. stag [stæg] -олень infuriate [ ɪ n'fjuər ɪ e ɪ t] –разъяренный аntler ['æntlə]-олений рог
Greyfriars Bobby Bobby belonged to John Gray, who worked for the Edinburgh City Police as a night watchman. The two were inseparable for approximately two years. On 8 February 1858, Gray died of tuberculosis. Bobby, who survived Gray by fourteen years, is said to have spent the rest of his life sitting on his master's grave.
Calton hill Calton Hill is one of Edinburgh's main hills, set right in the city centre.
The acropolis is in fact an unfinished monument - originally called the "National Monument". It was meant to be a replica of the Parthenon in Athens, as a memorial to those who had died in the Napoleonic Wars.
Princes Street The street was originally called Store Street due to a large government store at the lower end.
Princes Street is the southern busy street of Edinburgh's New Town. The street has almost no buildings on the south side, allowing panoramic views of the Old Town, Edinburgh Castle, and the valley between.
The north side is lined with shops. Several UK high brands such as H&M, Marks & Spencer and Topshop are located along Princes Street.
The Scott Monument is the largest monument to a writer in the world. It commemorates Sir Walter Scott. There are 287 steps to the top of the Scott Monument, from where you can enjoy breathtaking views of Edinburgh and the surrounding countryside.
The White marble statue built in his honour depicts Sir Walter sitting after having written a text with his feather and his dog Maida by his side. The statue was designed by John Steell.
It is 250 meters high. Athur's Seat is the main peak of the group of hills situated in the centre of the city of Edinburgh, about a mile to the east of Edinburgh Castle.