In 1683 on the shore of the Syzran river not far off from the place of its fall into the Volga river rose a fortress. The fortress got its name after the river Syzran. It was founded to defend the southern approaches to the Samarskaya pommel with its rich saltworks and fishing. Becides a lot of robbers looked upon this region as their own private domain. And the Samara governors had to send the armed forces there. The emblem of Syzran is a black bull on the golden field.
The waters of the Volga were rich in fish: white sturgeons, sterlets and rare forms of salmon. New settlements were founded not far from the fortress: Ilinskaya and Pokrovskaya across the Krymza river and a little bit later- Preobrazhenskaya across the Syzran river. There were here the merchants and craftsmen, who were being written in the settlement and settled closer to the fortress walls.
After the fire of 1906 that destroyed almost all wooden buildings, building of stone were build of the town. Merchants played a great part in this work. At that time the first church was built. Today this is our central church called The Kazan Cathedral.
In 1917 the Great October Revolution took place in our country. A lot of workers of Syzran took part and lost their lifes in the revolution. Nowadays we can see a monument in Kuznecky Park in honour of those who served our town.
The Heavy Machinery Building plant is developing a number of products nowadays. Recently they have established relation ship with some plant in Czech republic.
A lot of objects are being built in Syzran today : a stadium, clubs, some departments stores. The citizens are proud of our football team Syzran 2003 who won an excellent victory.