the area in Central London, in the Eastern part of the West End between St Martins lane and Drury lane. The district is associated with the former here earlier in the Central square fruit and vegetable market, now a popular shopping and tourist attraction along with the adjacent Royal Opera House, also known as "Covent garden". The area comprises the main artery, the long Acre street (eng. Long Acre (street)), North of which are independent small shops, mostly located in Neils Yard (eng. Neal's Yard) and seven Tails (eng. Seven Dials), South Central square with street performers and most beautiful buildings, theatres and entertainment venues, including the theatre Royal Drury lane and the London public transport Museum.
In the Middle, Covent Garden was vegetable field known as «convent garden»,it supplied food to the nuns of the nearby convent of St Peter.
Royal Opera House, often simply called "Covent garden", was constructed as the "Theatre King" in 1732 by Edward shepherd. During the first hundred years of its history the theatre was primarily dramatic, with the patent certificate issued by Charles II of Covent garden and the theatre Royal Drury lane for the exclusive right of oral drama in London. In 1734, was presented the first ballet, and a year later began the first season of operas by Handel. Many of his operas and oratorios were specifically written for Covent garden, where he held their premiere. The building became home to the Royal Opera house in 1945 and the Royal ballet since 1946.
The Central area is called simply "Covent garden", often also called "Piazza Covent garden" to distinguish it from gave her the name of the surrounding area. It was the first modern square in London and originally it was a flat space with a low barrier. The Church of Saint Paul's became the first building was begun in July 1631 on the Western side of the square. The last building was finished in Seventeen of the houses had porticos arcade, organized in groups of four and six either side of James Street on Severnoi side, and three and four either side of Russell Street.
Modern Theatre Royal Drury lane is the most modern of the four incarnations, the first of which opened in 1663, making this theater the oldest continuously used theatre London. For most of its first two centuries, it had, along with the Royal Opera House, showing drama and had claims to being one of the leading theaters in London. The first theatre known as "theatre Royal bridges Street," had on its stage performances by Nell Gwin.